Tuesday, April 16, 2013

pressing pause


There’s nothing I can say about what happened in Boston that will feel sufficient, so excuse me while I stumble along, ever so briefly.

Boston – a city I have called home, a city I complained about for all the polo-shirt-wearing-drunk-Red-Sox-loving-massholes and the difficult winters and now, a city for which I can only say wow. Wow, Boston. Forgive me. I wasn’t sure you had it in you but you have moved me – the spirit of this community, the resilience of these people; I am humbled and awe struck. And now I am truly grateful for this city and these people and whatever kind soul thoughtfully puts scarves on the ducks in Boston Common each winter. My words are inadequate for the horrors that struck Boston on Monday – the horrors that strike far too many cities on a regular basis, where children become accustomed to the sounds many in Boston thought were celebratory cannons – but here were a few things other people said and did that I found particularly moving and important to share. In our outrage and sadness, please let us not descend into finger pointing, xenophobia and race baiting. We’re better than that.

4 comments:

  1. Glad you and your loved ones are well. These are beautiful, powerful and important words right here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this. I lived in Boston for a few years. I've been wondering how the city and its people are faring. Much love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All you Bostonians have been in my thoughts these past days. Thanks for this. All we can do (the best thing we can do) is keep spreading that love.

    ReplyDelete